- CALL FOR PAPERS
- Symposium on
- As part of the 37th ASME Mechanisms & Robotics Conference
- At the ASME 2013 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences
- August 4-7, 2013, Portland, Oregon, USA
Origami shows great promise for providing insight and inspiration for future discoveries and new applications. The Symposium on Origami-Based Engineering Design has been created to provide a venue for researchers to present their work, interact with other researchers in the field, and discuss future trends and needs. The symposium is expected to consist of technical presentations by authors of accepted papers, talks and panel discussion by researchers and program managers (e.g. NSF/AFOSR ODESSEI program), and opportunities for informal discussions and networking.
As a leading forum for a broad set of engineering design topics, the ASME IDETC is an ideal venue for bringing together researchers from various backgrounds. Submissions are invited from all disciplines interested in origami-based and origami-inspired engineering design.
Topics include but are not limited to origami modeling (e.g. mathematics, computational simulation, kinematics), origami design methods (e.g. tree method, compliant mechanism, tensegrity structures), enabling materials (e.g. active polymer materials, laminates, bistable structures/mechanisms), tessellations (e.g modeling, manufacturing,design case studies), and origami-inspired applications (e.g. automotive, space, structures, biomedical).
- Submission Instructions*
Authors will first submit abstracts, followed by full-length papers that will be peer reviewed. Formatting instructions are available at
Abstracts and papers are submitted to the ASME IDETC website at
From the conference homepage, select "Submit Paper" and create an author accountas instructed. In the "Select Conference" drop-down menu, select "37th Mechanisms and Robotics Conference (MR)", and choose "Origami-Based Engineering Design" from the "Select Topic" drop-down menu, then follow the instructions for paper submission.
- Publication Schedule*
The paper submission deadlines governed by the IDETC organizers and thefollowing deadlines are set:
- Submission of Abstracts: *January 7, 2013 *
- Submission of Full-Length Paper for Review: *January 21, 2013 *
- Notification of Acceptance Decision: *March 18 2013 *
- Submission of Final Paper: *April 22, 2013 *
Conference papers will be made available on a DVD-ROM available at the meeting and published in the official proceedings of the conference. Authors are encouraged to submit a journal-quality version of the paper to the ASME Journal of Mechanical Design or the ASME Journal of Mechanisms & Robotics.
- Symposium Organizers*
- Larry L. Howell*
- Brigham Young University
- firstname.lastname@example.org <mailto:email@example.com> *Mary Frecker*
- Penn State University
- firstname.lastname@example.org <mailto:email@example.com> *James J. Joo*
- Air Force Research Laboratory
- James.Joo@wpafb.af.mil <mailto:James.Joo@wpafb.af.mil>